Setup and operating instructions for Wndsn distance tools and related items.
Resurrecting and restoring our beloved Swiss Army Knives
With scales on:
- Bathe in
- warm, soapy water
- Scrub with
- 3M pad
- Clean with
- Toothpicks, Q-tips, pipe cleaners, unwaxed dental floss
- Compressed air
- Ultrasonic cleaning
- Stick blue tac inside grooves to pick up little bits of dirt
- Toothpaste scrubbed into the pivot points of a used tool with a toothbrush will get rid of the "gummy" feeling that comes from years of use and oil. It's easy to go too far and create loose pivots though.
- Drying is extremely important. Leave the tool opened to air dry or use a hair dryer
For non-moving tools, without scales:
- Boil in water
- Soak in gasoline
For rusted tools:
- Overnight in Coke or citric acid (stainless steel only)
- White wine vinegar + a few tablespoons of baking powder. Apply directly to the rust with a Q-tip.
- Powdered graphite
- Ballistol (universal oil)